Just about anything tastes good with balsamic vinegar, but especially sweet and tart cherry tomatoes. Add tofu slices or cubes and you’ve got yourself a gourmet side dish.
This recipe for crispy tofu with balsamic tomatoes will be your new favorite simple yet indulgent vegan and gluten free recipe.
Serve this tofu balsamic tomatoes recipe with your favorite pasta dish, as a light summer side, or as a vegan and gluten free plant based meal in its own right.
Jump ahead to my simple recipe for balsamic glazed cherry tomatoes. I’ll hang out up here to give a few tips for cooking.
How to make tofu with balsamic tomatoes
Gently toss halved cherry tomatoes, sliced onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, oregano, pepper in a bowl until evenly coated. Set aside for 1 hour to marinate.
Let your firm tofu drain on a clean kitchen towel and then cube the tofu. Transfer tofu to a medium mixing bowl.
Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and syrup. Pour this mixture over the firm tofu and let tofu marinate in the mixture for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the rice flour, garlic powder and black pepper.
Gently toss the tofu cubes with dry mixture until evenly coated.
Arrange tofu and tomatoes on prepared sheet pan. Bake for about 20-30 minutes at 425F (190-200C). Halfway through baking, flip tofu and tomatoes.
When tofu cubes are crisp and golden brown, remove from over and allow to cool. Dump tofu onto serving dish and sprinkle cilantro, scallions, or other fresh herbs over the top. Sprinkle flaked kosher salt and then serve.
Crispy tofu with balsamic tomatoes
For the tofu
- 400 grams firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp rice flour
For the tomatoes
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp scallions for serving
- Combine halved cherry tomatoes, sliced onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, oregano, pepper in a bowl. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Cube the tofu.
- Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and syrup. Let tofu marinate in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the rice flour, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Coat the tofu with dry mixture.
- Arrange tofu and tomatoes on the sheet pan. Bake for about 20-30 minutes at 425F (190-200C). Halfway through baking, flip tofu and tomatoes.
- Serve with scallions.