Turmeric is an incredible anti-inflammatory agent and is one of the most potent spices to exist. Whether ingested internally or used as a topical agent it can have powerful effects.
Curcumin is the magical component of turmeric that makes all of this possible. It is effective in almost any inflammatory issue.
Recent research has even begun to identify other parts of turmeric that also have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
Turmeric is also an incredible healing agent when it comes to marks and scars. It sweeps away old damaged cells and allows new and beautiful, glow-y cells to surface.
In this case, turmeric powder can also be used as a topical mask for any flare ups.
Since going off birth control in my early 20s, my skin became a disaster. This turmeric face mask recipe is what was born out of desperation.
And so, behold, the simplest mask to treat flare ups, irritations, or even just good, old-fashioned skin sweeping.
Who This Turmeric Mask Recipe Is For
This homemade turmeric honey mask is made of natural ingredients that you have right in your kitchen, making this the easiest on-the-spot treatment as needed.
- Dry skin. Though the turmeric powder is astringent, the raw honey softens dry skin. Mix with olive oil or almond oil for a doubly moisturizing turmeric face mask. I DO NOT recommend coconut oil, the fats sometimes don’t sit well with skin.
- Sensitive skin. The anti-inflammatory properties in both the turmeric and also the raw honey can help soothe sensitive skin. Mix with aloe vera gel or yogurt for an especially soothing diy mask.
- Acne or oily skin. The turmeric soothes any skin irritation caused by acne flare ups and fights bacteria. Add in pumice stone powder to gently remove dead skin cells.
How To Make A Turmeric Paste For Skin
In a small bowl, whisk together the water, turmeric, honey, and lemon juice.
Depending on your skin problem, add any additional ingredients.
Mix ingredients until a paste forms. Add more lemon juice or aloe vera gel to make it a little easier to spread.
Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
Rinse off with warm water and pat dry. I like to spritz my clean face with a face tonic, then apply a diy oil cleanser.
Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Honey Face Mask
- 1 drop chamomile essential oil for a soothing effect
- 1 drop carrot seed oil for a healing effect
- 1 tbs pumice stone powder for exfoliation
- 1 tbs bentonite clay for oily skin
- 1 tbs aloe vera gel for sensitive skin
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, turmeric, honey, and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
DIY Face Mask Recipe Notes
- You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, though be careful not to accidentally cause skin irritation. I like to add carrot essential oil for Vitamins A and C, which have healing properties.
- You can mix with bentonite clay if you have oily skin.
- You may have glowing skin, literally! The turmeric powder might leave a slightly yellow color on your skin and wash cloth. You also might want to lay down a towel on your pillow to prevent staining any fabrics.