Cacao is the raw, unadulterated version of cocoa – no sugar or powdered products added. It’s an incredible superfood in its natural state with sooo many benefits!
In indiginous cultures, cacao is believed to support the heart in a literal, metaphysical, and spiritual sense. Consuming cacao is known to reconnect us to the intuition of Mother Nature. It is a very grounding substance. Yes!
Cacao contains an incredible range of compounds that make it incredibly good for you, including:
- Antioxidants- highest concentration of antioxidants of any food in the world
- Magnesium- number one source, increases brain power, strong bowel movements, and muscle relaxation
- Iron- one serving contains 314% the RDA of this oxygen-carrying protein
- Chromium-balances blood sugar
- Manganese- assists in oxygenation of blood
- Zinc- immunity, sexual fluids, skin health
- Copper- immunity
- Vitamin C- immunity
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids- healthy omega that helps balance overall intake
- Phenylethylamine (PEA)- chemical naturally present when we fall in love
- Anandamide- natural endorphin
- Tryptophan- a powerful mood-enhancing nutrient
- Serotonin- the primary neurotransmitter in the human body
- Fiber- smooth and regular bowel movements
Here are three basic snack recipes inspired by a few of my favorites from David Wolfe’s cookbook Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future.
Raw avocado mousse
- 3 avocados
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with berries or nuts (or both!).
- Sweetener: You can substitute 1/4 cup of dates here for the maple syrup or agave for a richer, more creamy mousse.
Awesome Chocolate Shake
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender and enjoy immediately.
- Serves YOU.
Cacao Goji Trail Mix
- 1 handful raw cacao nibs
- 1 handful goji berries
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful macadamia nuts
- 1 handful sunflower seeds
- Mix ingredients well in a large bowl.
- Store in a glass jar or tightly sealed plastic storage bin.