When I first discovered Maca root powder I was excited. The earthy, malty taste brings such a wonderful flavor to any dish it’s added to. A friend warned me to be careful, though, because it can increase libido. Naturally, this only increased my fascination with the superfood.
RAW Blondie Maca-Roons
- 1 1/2 cups nut pulp (leftover from nut mylk)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened, raw)
- 5-7 pitted dates, made into date paste
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons Maca powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of sea salt
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a food processor process dates with a couple tablespoons of water.
- You may need to soak your dates first if they are not soft.
- Once a paste has formed, add the paste and the coconut oil and almond butter to the bowl.
- Mix everything thoroughly with a spoon or spatula.
- Take a rounded tablespoon measurer and scoop out small balls and place onto dehydrator sheet.
- Put in the dehydrator at 104 until it is as dry as you like. Some recommend 5 hours, though I left mine in for only about 2. If it is not dried completely, store in the fridge.
SO delicious and so easy. These are perfect as a filling snack or dessert. I had a couple of these for breakfast this morning. YUM
Why is Maca so seXXXy?
Maca is a natural libido enhancer and plays with the hormone and endocrine system in our bodies. It is found to increase fertility in animals and humans alike by increasing sperm count and motility. In women it helps the ovaries mature its eggs for fertilization. After pregnancy Maca helps mothers produce more breast milk. Watch out, though, because Maca can increase sexual desire as well and stamina…
Maca is especially beneficial to women because it works to balance the hormones which can be incredibly helpful for menstruation, PMS symptoms, and menopausal symptoms. The more in balance your hormones are the fewer side effects and symptoms you will have with your rockin’ reproductive rhythm.
Maca is also an excellent adaptogen which helps you fight off sickness, stress, and fatigue. It is an excellent way to provide a little boost to your mood or day. It also has an excellent source of calcium, equivalent to that of a glass of milk without all the side effects of dairy. It is also a great plant-based protein source with slightly more than 10% protein per serving. It is also rich in magnesium, phosoporous, potassium, sulfur, sodium, and iron as well as zinc, iodine, copper, selenium, bismuth, maganese, tin, and silicon. It also has vitamins B1, B2, C, and E. The controversial B12 is reported to be included in this list, though some are skeptical.
Maca is known to improve the following conditions:
Infertility and sterility
Lack of libido
Menstrual discomfort and disorders
Become the super whoa-man that you are and eat more Maca!