I love making pretty salads. I feel like salad is so often viewed as a chore and so many people chomp on the leaves like they are just chomping through another item on the to-do list. This is no way to eat, salads included, and so I usually like to make my meals feel like treats.
This salad is special because it breaks all the rules as far as salad is concerned. It doesn’t look like traditional salad, it doesn’t taste like traditional salad, and it certainly doesn’t feel like traditional salad. Instead, I threw in some pretty neat ingredients (i.e. seaweed and sauerkraut) and then fancified all the other, more normal, ingredients.
I just have to tell you .. since I’ve added the mini chopper, spiralizer, and now the salad spinner to my kitchen I have been enjoying salad-making so much more than before. Everything is quick and easy to clean and the prep is actually a lot of fun! I mean .. the amount of water that comes off the leaves in the salad spinner is incredible. I’m weird like that to be excited about dry lettuce leaves.
And if I’ve learned anything over the years it’s that when you find something that makes your life better or easier then it is good karma to spread the word. So I’m spreading it, baby!
Okay, okay .. here’s the recipe for this incredible salad that is packed with goodies (like good bacteria!):
Raw Macro Bowl
For the salad:
- 1 head of kale
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup raw sauerkraut
- handful of sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 green onions
- handful dried seaweed
- 1/2 lemon (for the kale)
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon raw tahini
- 1 tablespoon raw miso paste
- 1 clove garlic
- handful fresh basil
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
For the salad:
- First, peel the zucchini and run through a spiralizer. Then let the noodles sit on some paper towels while you prepare the rest. It is best at room temperature so it releases the most water. I leave it on the countertop, covered with more paper towels.
- Take the dried seaweed and put them in water to soak and re-hydrate. After it has soaked for 15-20 minutes, rinse with a colander to remove any particles and extra fishy taste.
- Next, wash and de-stem the kale. Pat dry or run through a salad spinner (a new gadget I got for Christmas!). Tear into bit sized pieces. Squeeze the 1/2 lemon over the top and massage with your hands until the kale shrinks. Set aside.
- Peel the carrot and run through the spiralizer.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Combine everything in a bowl.
For the dressing:
- Mix everything in a mini chopper. Pour over the salad.
**disclosure: if you purchase anything I link to you via Amazon I make a small percentage out of it at no cost to you! So cool for me, so cool for you!
I make a big container of salad every week… mix greens, carrots, red, yellow, orange peppers, red cabbage, cucs, tomatoes, some of these, all of these…I honestly get really happy seeing all the beautiful colors together! I think I need a spiralizer next! Your salad looks good!
I LOVE macro bowls! I've been to a few raw/vegan joints in the area that whip up an awesome macro bowl, and for whatever reason, I've never made one at home. I love this idea, and definitely need to be eating these daily until I can sufficiently wash the holidays out of my system. YUM!
Thank you !! And yes, I totally recommend the spiralizer .. it makes salads so much more fun!! Your salads sound absolutely delicious 🙂
I did the same thing!! I'd always order them and then I finally decided to just make my own. And it's EXCELLENT for cleaning out your system 🙂 it's a macro/detox kind of bowl, I guess!