The other day I went to the Yoga Fest in Fort Lauderdale with high hopes. It was a beautiful event with lots of potential, but the temperature crept into the 90s with a humidity index that was bordering unsafe.
Also, and ironically, the food vendors were mostly turkey-legs-and-pina-coladas booths which doesn’t really match my personal preference for food choices … or that of hundreds of yogis.
So afterward my SO and I headed to Green Bar & Kitchen to replenish our very empty reserves. I had read rave reviews on Yelp so it was a pretty easy decision. Originally I had my heart set on the coconut rice bowl but once I got there I just couldn’t shake the craving I had for greens. So I opted for the Superfood Salad.
I have not stopped obsessing over it since then.
I have tried to recreate the magical salad and so far I think I’ve done a pretty good job. Nothing will ever compare to the original but this certainly is a winning salad on its own, as well.
Let me also share why this salad has proven to be a pivotal moment in my blogging career: I have learned to never plan to take pictures of my upcoming recipes at the end of a very long day.
I hadn’t eaten for 10 hours, I had just completed a challenging yoga session, and I was exhausted and starving. All I wanted to do was scoop handfuls of the cacao nibs and goji berries into my mouth but instead I had to figure out how to use the camera.
I also learned that morning light is so much more romantic and forgiving than evening light (or, 10 p.m. light). This is the day that I learned to plan ahead and keep myself well fed.
- 1 Blender
- Tear the kale into bite-sized leaves in a large mixing bowl. Tenderize the kale by pouring a tablespoon of dressing over the leaves and massaging them with your hands until wilted.
- Put all of the remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl and toss (or don’t, it looks pretty when it’s all layered …).
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the olive oil in last and blend just until smooth.
- Pour over the salad and enjoy.
Be well. Be fed. And get some sleep.