Ice cream cake is the perfect sweet and creamy dessert for a hot summer day. And this recipe is dairy free, making it belly-safe for all diets.
I’ll go through a few variations and preparation tips when making this vegan ice cream cake recipe. Then I’ll get to the delicious recipe!
Ice Cream Cake Ingredient Variations
When it comes to making this vegan ice cream cake, there’s plenty of room for creativity. One of the beauties of this recipe is its flexibility.
For the nut-chocolate layer, you can substitute walnuts with almonds, cashews, or pecans. Each nut brings a unique flavor and texture to the cake layer. Almonds offer a milder taste, while pecans provide a rich, buttery flavor.
Sweeteners can also be varied. Instead of honey, consider agave nectar, maple syrup, or date syrup. Each sweetener adds a distinct flavor to your cake.
And for the ice cream, while my creamy ice cream recipe uses homemade avocado and mint, you could try different flavors of store-bought vegan ice cream, from classic vanilla to exotic matcha.
- Nuts: Swap walnuts for:
- Almonds: Offers a sweeter, milder taste.
- Cashews: Provides a creamy, slightly sweet flavor.
- Pecans: Gives a rich, buttery flavor.
- Hazelnuts: Adds a distinct, slightly bitter undertone.
- Sweeteners: Replace honey with:
- Agave Nectar: Provides a mild, neutral sweetness.
- Maple Syrup: Offers a warm, autumnal sweetness.
- Simple Syrup: This coconut sugar simple syrup would give it a rich, caramel-like sweetness.
- Coconut Sugar: Adds a subtle hint of coconut flavor.
- Dairy Free Ice Cream: Experiment with different flavors of store-bought vegan ice cream:
- Vanilla: Vanilla ice cream is a classic flavor that pairs well with any cake.
- Matcha: Match adds a unique, earthy flavor and vibrant green color.
- Chocolate: For the chocolate lovers, chocolate ice cream would make the cake even more decadent.
- Berry: Strawberry ice cream could add a refreshing twist to the cake.
Ice Cream Cake Preparation Tips
Creating this vegan ice cream cake recipe is a fun process, and a few tips can make it even smoother. When choosing avocados, look for ones that are ripe but firm. They should yield slightly to gentle pressure but not feel mushy. This is key for a creamy texture (without any brown spots).
Layering the cake properly is also pretty important for the final outcome. Make sure each layer is evenly spread before adding the next one. This not only makes the cake look good but also ensures an even distribution of flavors in every bite.
Freezing is an important step. After adding each cake layer, freeze the cake for about 30 minutes. This helps the layers set and prevents them from mixing into each other. Once the final layer is added, freeze the cake for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
Removing the cake from the tin can be tricky. To make it easier, run the tin under warm water for a few seconds. This will loosen the edges and allow ice cream layers of the cake to pop out smoothly. Remember to handle the cake gently to maintain its shape.
Step-by-Step Instructions For Vegan Ice Cream Cake
Start by placing the walnuts, dates, coconut cream, and coconut milk in your food processor. Pulse until the mixture is roughly ground, creating a chunky but cohesive texture. This forms the base of your nut-chocolate layer.
To this mixture, add the cocoa powder and lime juice. Process again until the mixture is smooth and very thick. Taste the mixture at this point. If it’s not sweet enough for your liking, add some honey. Remember, the sweetness will be balanced out by the other layers, so it’s okay if it’s a bit on the sweeter side.
Once you’re satisfied with the taste and texture of your nut-chocolate layer, set it aside. You’ll be coming back to it when it’s time to assemble the cake.
Now, it’s time to prepare the lime-mint layer. In your food processor, combine the avocados, mint, lime juice, honey, and coconut cream. Process until the mixture is well combined and smooth. Again, taste the mixture and add more honey if needed.
Now comes the fun part – assembling the cake. For the first cake layer, start by spreading half of the nut-chocolate mixture on the bottom of an 18 cm cake pan or springform pan. Smooth it out to create an even cake layer. Next, create the second cake layer by spreading all of the lime-mint mixture over the nut-chocolate layer, smoothing it out as well. Then, add the remaining nut-chocolate mixture on top of the lime-mint layer. Finally, spread the remaining lime-mint mixture on top. You should now have four alternating cake layers of nut-chocolate and lime-mint.
Place the assembled cake in the freezer for at least 2 hours. This allows the cake layers to set and the flavors to meld together.
After the cake has set, it’s time to unmold it. If the cake doesn’t pop out easily, run the tin under warm water to loosen it. Be careful not to let the water touch the cake. Once the cake is unmolded, top it with chopped walnuts and lime slices for an extra touch of flavor and texture. When you’re ready to serve, use a warm knife to cut the cake into portions. This helps create clean slices and makes serving easier.
Serving Suggestions For Your Vegan Ice Cream Cake
Presenting this vegan ice cream cake is part of the fun. A drizzle of vegan chocolate sauce over the top adds an extra touch of decadence. For a pop of color and freshness, consider serving slices with a side of fresh fruit like berries or kiwi.
A sprinkle of coconut flakes can also add a delightful crunch and a hint of tropical flavor. Hell, top it with some coconut whipped cream 🤤
Pour a thin layer of melted chocolate over the top before popping in the freezer to create a chocolate shell for a truly decadent dessert.
If you’re not planning to serve the cake immediately, it’s best to keep it in the freezer. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to serve, let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften slightly. This makes it easier to cut and gives it the perfect creamy texture.
Quick and dirty serving ideas:
- Drizzle vegan chocolate sauce over the top for extra decadence.
- Serve slices with a side of fresh fruit like berries or kiwi for a pop of color and freshness.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on top for a delightful crunch and a hint of tropical flavor.
- Top with coconut whipped cream and chocolate chips for a cheeky ice cream cake treat.
- Store the cake in the freezer, covered tightly with plastic wrap, if not serving immediately. Let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving for the perfect creamy texture.
Vegan Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Place nuts, dates and coconut cream and milk in food processor, roughly grind
- Add cocoa, lime juice and get a smooth and very thick mixture.
- Taste if not enough sweetness add some honey.
- Set aside
- Place avocado, mint, lime juice, honey and coconut cream in a food processor. Mix well. Taste, add some honey if needed
- To assemble the cake, place half of the chocolate-nut mix on the bottom of the 18 cm cake pan or springform pan. Smooth lime-mint mix over the chocolate layer. Add another part of the chocolate mix layer overtop. Spread remaining lime-mint mix overtop.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the ice cream from the tin. If it doesn't pop out, carefully run the tin under warm water then remove. Top the cake with chopped walnuts and lime slices. Use a warm knife to cut portions out of the cake.
Can I use a different type of fruit in the lime-mint layer?
Absolutely! This recipe is all about flexibility. While the lime-mint layer provides a refreshing contrast to the nut-chocolate layer, you can certainly experiment with other fruits. Berries could add a sweet-tart flavor, while bananas might lend the cake batter a creamy, tropical twist. Just remember to adjust the sweetness as needed, since different fruits have varying levels of natural sugars. Enjoy experimenting!
How can I adjust the sweetness of the cake?
Adjusting the sweetness of this vegan ice cream cake is a breeze. If you find the cake too sweet, you can reduce the amount of honey in the recipe, or choose a less sweet fruit if you’re experimenting with the lime-mint layer. If it’s not sweet enough, feel free to add a bit more honey, or even a splash of agave or maple syrup. Remember, taste as you go – it’s the best way to ensure your cake suits your personal preference.
Can I use a different size cake tin?
Yes, you can use a different size cake tin. The one specified in the recipe is 18 cm, but if you use a larger tin, your cake will be shorter and wider, and if you use a smaller tin, your cake will be taller and narrower. Just keep in mind that the freezing times may vary slightly based on the size of your tin. The key is to ensure each layer is firm before adding the next one.
What can I do if my cake doesn’t set properly?
If your cake isn’t setting properly, it might be due to a few reasons. Make sure you’re freezing the cake long enough after adding each layer and once the cake is fully assembled. If a layer is too soft, it might not have been frozen long enough. If you’re having trouble with the homemade vanilla ice cream layer, ensure your avocados are ripe and properly pureed. If all else fails, you can pop the cake back in the freezer to firm up.
How long will this cake keep in the freezer?
This vegan ice cream cake can be stored in the freezer for up to two weeks. Just make sure it’s covered tightly with plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to serve it, let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften ice cream. This way, you can enjoy some leftover ice cream cake whenever you feel like it 😏