I love a good veggie lentil soup. I always make lentil soup for my family when visiting because it’s hearty, filling, and easy to do in large quantities.
I used to go to the Whole Foods in Coral Gables when I lived in Miami and get a massive bowl of the best lentil soup of my life. This vegan lentil soup recipe is inspired by that version and somehow morphed into what I’m sharing with you below.
This hearty soup has won over everyone I’ve ever served it to and has only made it to this blog because everyone I’ve ever prepared it for has asked me for the recipe.
So please enjoy this delicious homemade vegetable lentil soup, from my kitchen to yours. ❤️
Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe Variations
This absolutely delicious vegetarian lentil soup recipe is easy to make and very filling, especially when served with rustic homemade bread. Here are a few customizations I’ve made over the years that you might enjoy as well:
Additional ingredients you can add to this vegan lentil soup:
- I’ve added canned diced tomatoes in the past. Canned tomatoes give it an acidic taste, making it more like a vegetable stew that’s really warming for the winter. If you’re family, then I haven’t used diced tomatoes in an lentil soup I’ve ever made for you FYI.
- Chopped butternut squash or sweet potatoes. This bulks the vegan lentil soup and provides a bit more texture. I like to do this when I have a lot of activities planned for the next day.
- Green or brown lentils will work, just make note of the cooking time for your chosen lentils.
- If you don’t have vegetable broth, then you can use water. I usually use water because I’m a last-minute kinda girl, but it’s always soooooo much better with vegetable broth. If you’re not vegan, then chicken broth will take this up yet another notch.
- You can add fresh herbs to the final lentil soup. I’ve added fresh cilantro in the past, I feel it goes well with this dish. Fresh parsley might be a nice addition, but I personally haven’t tried it that way. If you do use fresh parsley, then I recommend adding the juice of half a lemon with it to go with the parsley.
- I often stir in fresh baby spinach just before eating to get a healthy dose of fresh veggies.
Options for preparing this vegan lentil soup recipe:
This tasty soup is pretty easy to prepare. You basically just need to make sure everything is cooked, making it easy to throw together in a matter of minutes. Here are a few options for preparing this lentil soup recipe:
- You can use an Instant Pot, Crock Pot, or slow cooker to prepare this recipe. Follow the general instructions of your device, taking care to sauté the ingredients on medium high heat before adding the lentils.
- This soup freezes exceptionally well, making it the perfect leftover soup. I always prepare a large batch and freeze individual servings for nights when I can’t be fussed with making dinner.
- Sometimes I take the leftover soup and put it into the bottom of a baking dish, topped by homemade mashed potatoes for a vegan lentil shepherd’s pie recipe.
Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
- Put the dried lentils in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Put olive oil in a large pot and heat on medium heat. Add chopped fresh carrots and celery and sauté for a few minutes until just starting to sizzle.
- Add dried spice and continue cooking until everything starts to brown. 5-10 minutes.
- Drain lentils and add to the pot. Cook on medium high heat together for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable broth or water to the pot and bring to a boil. Make sure the lentils are covered the entire time. Cook for 3-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 more minutes until lentils are breaking down.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the lentils about 75% of the way, or to desired consistency.
- Serve with rustic bread. Top with freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
This is one of my absolute favorite soup recipes and is pretty much the only soup I ever make, to be honest. It’s filled with hearty vegetables, plant-based protein, and lots of fiber. Enjoy this delicious recipe and let me know in the comments when you make it!