This recipe is so simple, so delicious, and full of good-for-you fats that boost your brain power. It came to me in an instant while I was cleaning the house. I don’t know where it came from, probably the divine food gods that were looking for a human vessel to bring this amazingly simple dessert/breakfast/anytime food to fruition.
It’s so simple that I even feel silly calling it a recipe. It’s more of a combination than a recipe. Heck, it quite possibly already existed before I even thought of it! Regardless of its existence before me (and now after me) I’m so happy that I thought to put these ingredients together. It was just the perfect dish .. so light, creamy, sinful yet guilt-free. I just felt like I was walking on air after I ate one of these guys (which you get to see the progression below because I wanted to share the smothered goodness with you).
And now, after I’ve eaten my fair share of this raw strawberry shortcake parfait, I’m listening to The Black Keys radio on Pandora and I’m just completely happy with life. Good food and good music will do that to ya.
I mean, look at this. Creamy decadence in a fancy glass. What more could you want on a lazy Sunday?
Strawberry Shortcake Parfait
- 2 cups coconut meat, chopped*
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped**
- 8-10 strawberries, sliced
- 4-6 dried figs, no preservatives
- Take the meat and place in a high speed blender or food processor. Add the coconut water and vanilla and blend until smooth, using your tamper to facilitate blending. (Coconut meat is tough to blend so if you don’t have a high speed blender allow it to be chunky and add more water as needed).
- Set the blended coconut in the fridge to firm up a little bit while you prepare the rest.
- Remove stems from dried figs and slice.
- Layer the dried figs, strawberries, and finally the coconut.
- Add fresh mint for garnish, if you’d like.
*See how to open your own coconut here
**Use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract if you do not have access to fresh vanilla.
**disclosure: if you purchase anything I link to you via Amazon I make a small percentage out of it at no cost to you! So cool for me, so cool for you!
I submitted this recipe to a virtual potluck over at Pure Ella .. check it out here!